Although I'm over a week into 2020, I'm still trying to decide on the major goals I want to achieve this year.
Current candidates are:
- Run a marathon
- Running a half marathon was a challenge for me. I'd like to take part in another one for 2020, but I feel like running a full 26.2 miles will be a much greater challenge. This goal also fits in with my "don't make all goals revolve around writing software" rule for 2020.
- Release a game
- I completely bailed on writing games in 2019. I keep telling myself it's something I enjoy doing - at least I think I enjoy it - but I never seem to make the time to create anything. For 2020 I'd like to release something.
- Learn some physical skills
I've done bodyweight exercises on and off for a couple of years, but haven't done enough to really improve in any significant way.
I'd like to actually put some effort in this year and learn a few of the more advanced skills. I don't expect I'll be able to master a handstand, but I'd like to be able to manage a frog stand.
- Write more frequently
- Every year I say I should write more and I rarely do. Last year was my best year for writing, and I wrote more posts for this site than any other year. Although I already have a "blog more" goal set up on beeminder, I think I'll need to narrow this goal down to achieve it.
- Complete a maniac week
- I love the idea of a setting aside one week a year to run a maniac week. I've taken part in a couple of game jams and they're always extremely productive. Focusing some of that energy on my goals would be highly beneficial.
- Increase my earnings
Last year my freelance earnings were down about 20%. This was partly because work was slower, but more likely because I got lazy towards the end of the year and didn't take on as much as I could. I feel a bit icky about publicly committing to this one. although I'm not really sure why.
I'd also like a portion of my earnings to come from "passive" income sources rather than direct work.
I also have a list of around 40 minor goals for 2020 that I need to figure out. I'm trying not to get too hung up on having things 100% decided by January.